Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Z is for : Zorro!!


Zorro was a Walt Disney Company production that ran on the ABC network from 1957 to 1959. It starred Guy Williams, who I was mainly familiar with from Lost In Space, as Don Diego Vega and his alter ego, the Robin Hood of the Old West....Zorro!

The show was well received and got good ratings, but only lasted two seasons due to financial disputes between Disney and ABC over the rights of the show. It's sort of ironic that Disney "won", in the end, having bought ABC.

A top Disney executive was overheard telling some of the ABC people...

"Yeah, we'll show you....we'll now run Zorro all the time!! Muahahaha!!!"

O.k...maybe not.....anyway.....


To be honest, I've only seen this one a handful of times but I do remember catching episodes while watching the old Mickey Mouse Club. Being a big Zorro fan, it was always one of the highlights for me as well as seeing the dad from Lost In Space in the lead.


With that, I'm closing the book on this years A to Z Blogging Challenge. Honestly, I never thought I'd make it through the whole thing. My schedule has been pretty up in the air but, as was my intention, this made me put my butt in the seat and write everyday. I did some basic prep work, but the posts were usually written the night before or the day of whichever letter we were on.

A big thank you to Arlee Bird of Tossing it Out and Alex J. Cavanaugh for spearheading this zany, month long ride through the blogosphere. I'd also like to thank all of you who came by, some almost every day, and left comments....I really appreciate them and you!  I apologize for not getting around as much as I wanted to, but life happens and we do what we can.

I hope you all had a good time with the challenge....I know that I did.

I'll be back on Friday or Saturday with a bit of an A to Z "wrap up" and my A to Z Challenge Survival Guide.

20 comments:

Julie Flanders said...

I didn't even know there was a Zorro show.
Your theme was a lot of fun!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Thanks for sharing, Zorro! I remember that show in bits and pieces. I've always liked the idea of Zorro as a hero!
Congrats on making it through A to Z!!!

Robin said...

I didn't see this one, Mark. However, it amazes me the reasons that shows are cancelled. Sounds like this one was a quibble that became ultimately unnecessary. How sad.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I watched that one a few times.
Glad you had a good time with the Challenge! You had another awesome theme, Mark.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I was too young to see this show but I remember Lost in Space. I've enjoyed your walk down memory lane.

cleemckenzie said...

I always loved the opening of that show when he wrote Zorro on a wall with his sword.

You did it! Congrats on another year of A to Z!

Lisa said...

I knew it would be Zorro. I didn't know until recently (go figure) that zorro is fox in spanish. Love that, and the show. Was wondering if you would also write about the movies but I'm glad you didn't. They were a whole other kettle of fish, as they say. I'd forgotten that the dad on Lost in Space was Zorro! Congratulations to you as well on making it through. As usual I enjoyed ever post!

Melissa said...

Hearing about these old shows takes me back. I wish I could have visited your blog every day. But, alas, I run and hide during the month of April. LOL

Andrew Leon said...

I used to watch Zorro, but I think the Banderas movie is the best version they've had.

Lynda Dietz said...

I never ended up watching Zorro as a child, but I've thoroughly enjoyed every post this month on your blog. You've done a great job with this challenge, reminding us of some great (and corny) shows of the past.

Congratulations on a terrific A to Z!

Anonymous said...

Whew! We did it. Congrats on finishing A to Z.

Leslie S. Rose said...

I was smitten with Guy Williiams on Zorro and Lost in Space. One of my first celeb crushes.

Kathryn Thornton said...

Another thing I like that I owe to Disney. Pretty amazing. I had no idea.

Congratulations on completing the challenge.

http://katloveswriting.blogspot.com

LD Masterson said...

I remember this show very well. I was at the age when it was one that I loved anything with horses and westerns were the rage.

Congratulations on completing the A-Z.

Maurice Mitchell said...

I loved your theme this year Mark. I never watched the show, but the remake was brilliant.

randi lee said...

Congrats on making it to the end, man. I loved your theme!

Arlee Bird said...

You made it! Yay!

I used to love Zorro. I was a regular watcher of the Mickey Mouse Club and enjoyed all the serials they had. They were so short though.

Lee
An A to Z Co-Host
Tossing It Out

Jack said...

I used to watch the old Zorro show! I liked it a lot!

Elizabeth Seckman said...

Zorro almost got me spanked, so I hold a grudge. I was about four and put a Z for Zorro on the back of a church pew. I thought it was cool, my parents did not.

What a fun topic Mark...every post was a walk down memory lane!

Annalisa Crawford said...

I remember watching this when I was very little, in the 1970s - British TV showed the repeats (unless I'm remembering a past life!) I used to run around the house making Zs in the air and fighting off balconies (or possibly, my bunk bed!)

Well done for making it to the end of the challenge :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...