Monday, October 27, 2014

All NaNos Eve...



This Friday isn't just Halloween....or "All Hallows Eve"...it's also the day before November 1st....which is also the eve of National Novel Writing Month.

All Nanos Eve. <cue eerie music>

Sounds sort of ominous, eh?

Even though it shouldn't be something to "fear" (it's, actually, a lot of fun), it is something to prepare for. At least, for me. I've been participating since 2011 and, oddly enough, that's the only time I ever "won". In subsequent years, I've always started, but found excuses not to finish.

I'm, usually, a seat of the pants (or pantser) type of writer. I don't outline...I don't make very many notes and the ones I do make, I seem to forget about. Two years ago I found some notes for my abandoned story a few months after NaNo was over. I'm not sure how much of a difference those notes would have made, but they might have added some spark to the flame.

Who knows?

Anyway, I'm a bit (not too much...just a little) more prepared this year.

I decided I would work on some notes and see where that might get me. I wound up coming up with ten good story ideas that could carry me through to the finish line and, hopefully, to a completed book.

I also decided to do things a bit differently this year. Instead of one story, I'm going to work on a compilation of short stories. Hopefully ten. That way, I only need to do five thousand words per story. Now, should one story take over and I go to town, all the better.

If you're doing NaNo, this year, I wish you luck and let me know how your progress goes. If you'd like to 'buddy up', you can find me here.

If you're not participating this year, say a little prayer for those of us who are :)





18 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Working on a variety of stories sounds like a good idea. You'll never be stuck.

Julie Flanders said...

No NaNo for me this year but I wish you the best of luck! I'm sure you'll have fun whether you finish or not.

Sarah Foster said...

I think All NaNos Eve sounds scarier than All Hallows Eve...

I've never won NaNo but I'm trying it again this year. I'm also a pantser so I'm trying to get at least a very basic outline done this week in the hopes that it will make a difference this time. I think writing short stories sounds like a great idea!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Mark - your idea sounds a good one .. and good luck - I am not diving into NaNo ...

Cheers Hilary

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Maybe this year the notes will help. I've never participated in NaNo, but one day I might.

Stephanie Faris said...

Praying for all of you! You'll do great. I don't think it's as much about winning as it is about pushing yourself, and it sounds like that's what you're doing.

Maurice Mitchell said...

Good tips and Nano sounds like a rewarding challenge.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

I tried NaNo once. Don't think I'll try it again, but best of luck!

Lisa said...

I'll be right there with you Mark! I'm looking forward to it as well, and am prepped and ready to go! How do you send your nano info for being a buddy? I just added you...

klahanie said...

Hey Mark!

Yep dude, it's me. Surprises never end. After a lengthy absence, I'm slowly getting enough momentum to make fun, um commend anybody who does that NaNo which is NoNo in my world :)

I'm praying for you, buddy!

Gary :)

LD Masterson said...

I've never tried to do NaNo but I've got my fingers, toes, and eyes crossed for you.

Sheena-kay Graham said...

I'll pray for you. Plus I'm in this year too.

Gina Gao said...

Wishing you luck with Nano. Unfortunately, I'm not participating this year.

www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

Morgan said...

Ohhhhhh… good luck, Mark!!! Such an undertaking… HUGE props to you. Keep us posted??? I hope it's going well!

jaybird said...

S'up my friend? I've been out of commission lately but it's good to see some of us are still writing. Good luck to you and all the NaNo. I am not in the best of shape for entering in the fun this year, but I have not counted out doing so in the future.

Jack said...

I am like you, I don't plan my stories out. I just run with them and hope something good comes out of all the typing. Though notes do seem like a good idea. I hope yours help this year, and that you are able to reach the finish line. I'm adding you on the NaNo site.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Mark, know you are busy writing, but I featured you today for the Miss You Blogfest.

mail4rosey said...

Just wandering over to say hello. :) Alex blogged about how awesome your blog/writing/you are and it nudged me to get on over and say hello. I hope your writing is going great! Happy Thanksgiving to you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...